Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Upward Bound Professional Academic Tutor
at Kishwaukee College
The objective of the TRiO Upward Bound tutoring program is to help DeKalb High School students comprehend course material in order to successfully complete the course. Tutors work closely with the TRiO Upward Bound staff and with instructors. Upward Bound Tutors will provide individual and small group tutoring during the Academic Year Component, Summer Academy, and Summer Bridge.
- Tutoring during the academic year will be held at DeKalb High School. The tentative availability needed for the academic year tutoring is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 2:30pm-5:30pm.
- Tutoring during the Summer Academy and Summer Bridge will be held at Kishwaukee College. Availability needed for Summer Academy and Summer Bridge is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 8:30am-2:30pm.
- The Upward Bound six-week Summer Academy will be held July 2, 2018-August 10, 2018 at Kishwaukee College.
All tutors will be required to attend tutor orientation and training, complete weekly tutoring reports, and model academic behaviors and strategies associated with high school and college success.
Examples of Job Function:
- Provide tutorial assistance as assigned.
- Assist students in the development of study skills necessary for successful completion of courses
- Maintain accurate and current documentation concerning student contact and progress.
- Maintain contact with staff and faculty as required.
- Refer students to Upward Bound staff for information or assistance with issues such as academic (advisement, juggling family, work and school, stress and time management, self-esteem and independence, study skills), career exploration, and transfer assistance.
- Conduct tutoring sessions in designated areas for scheduled time periods.
- Provide assistance to staff members to research, implement, and maintain the tutoring component in order to improve the tutoring program.
- Attend mandatory trainings.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned by Upward Bound staff
Workload Summary: (Special physical requirements necessary for performance of the job)
- Work is normally performed in a general classroom setting
- This position requires light physical activity and movement
Kishwaukee College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and any reasonable and timely accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act will be made upon documented request by the employee.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with academically and socioeconomically disadvantage students.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and be responsible and flexible.
- Educational and/or economic backgrounds similar to participants are preferred, as is bilingualism (English/Spanish), tutoring experience.
- Successful completion of an I-9, background check and finger printing will be required.
- Tutors must verify that they are qualified to tutor a course.
- Tutors can work up to 8 hours per week; however, the number of hours may vary due to the subject tutoring.
Minimum Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
This position is funded under the TRiO Upward Bound Program grant. Professional Academic Tutors must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and be confident in the targeted subject matter.