Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Family Literacy Childcare Aide
at Kishwaukee College
Manage the daily operations of Family Literacy sites (located on campus or in community) and work with children in educational and literacy-based activities while parents are attending GED or ELA classes. The primary purpose of the position is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for children birth through age 10.
- Complete hands-on, art-based creative activities and provide literacy experiences for children during each class
- Assist with homework or school-related activities as necessary
- Clean and disinfect toys and materials at the end of each class
- Work closely with Adult Education Transition Specialist to obtain necessary supplies for classroom activities and information for parents
- Participate in division meetings and attend seminars, webinars and conferences to learn new strategies for interacting with parents and children
- Complete required paperwork including attendance and registration forms and interact with both children and their parents on a regular basis
- Need to be creative and flexible while working with children in a multi-age and multi-cultural environment
- Hours and days vary depending upon site location and class (usually range from 3.0 to 6.0 hours per class per week)
- Needs to be able to move or set-up tables and chairs if needed and lift up to 35lbs.
- Site locations may include Kishwaukee College, DeKalb, Sycamore, Genoa or Rochelle
Kishwaukee College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and any reasonable and timely accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act will be made upon documented request by the employee.
- Must pass background check
- Must have negative TB test (PPD skin test)
- Must be certified in first aid, including CPR and Heimlich maneuver OR willing to attend training
- Must complete child abuse mandated reporting training (on-line)
Minimum: High School Diploma or GED/High School Equivalency; college classes in education helpful; personal recommendation is required
Preferred: Certificate in childcare or Early Childhood Education OR 3-5 years childcare experience
- Language skills in Spanish are preferable, but not required